A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Technical Author at a market-leading group in specialist vehicles. the Technical Author (ILS) will compile and deliver technical documentation for end users and customer organisations assembled in accordance with their requirements. They will also assist production engineering with the compilation of manufacturing process documentation.
They are looking for Technical Authors to join this Outstanding company that specialise in Vehicle testing and engineering services in automotive. They are a project orientated business and see a large number of various project types, which can vary from in service support of vehicle fleets through to conversion projects on hundreds of similar vehicle types. Information must be clearly and unambiguously presented, in a manner appropriate to the level of skill, experience and technical understanding of the users and maintainers of the equipment.
This is a new role within Special Vehicles and the ideal candidate will need a desire to grow and develop the functions of the role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- You will be expected to manage & own elements of Technical Publications /Authoring work/tasks and conform to challenging project timelines.
- Liaise with product suppliers to compile data and information and translate to a variety of national / international /civil / military specifications and produce physical/electronic deliverables reflecting quality processes to a high standard of written and technical English compliant with Def Stan's and JSP's.
- Commission, coordinate or prepare illustrations and occasionally technical training packages as required to support your work.
- The production of high quality, legislation compliant, technical documentation, and safety cases. Army Equipment Support Publications (AESPs) will form the basis of the document sets being produced; however other formats may also be required.
- Communicating with stakeholders of current ILS programs and documentation requirements.
- Provide technical expertise in ensuring design teams have a clear understanding of the publication development, production and upkeep process.
- Managing stakeholder relationships and provide updates
- Continually seek ways to improve the business and align your colleagues to this activity
- Focus on continuous improvement - working with the engineering and production leadership teams to improve efficiency/quality during build.
- Previous experience as a Technical Author or similar within an engineering function, preferably within the defence industry
- Extracting information from technical documentation, engineering standards and processes and turning this information into easily understood text
- Creation of documents sets in accordance with Def Stan Def Stan 00-601 or similar.
- Knowledge and understanding of Def Stan 00-600, JSP 886, JSP 543(D) and JSP 101 or similar standards.
- Working within document control, change control and checking/reviewing procedures.
- Working within a team that understands Defence related safety.
- Knowledge of PDM systems & processes would be advantageous
- Experience of defence, blue light and/or government organisations
- Basic Technical Illustration, graphic design.
- BTEC or City and Guilds qualified in an engineering discipline
- Detailed understanding of standard office software e.g. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat as well as standard publishing tools.
- Good understanding of Integrated Logistic Support and Through Life Support
- Good understanding of Safety & Environmental management processes
- Good understanding of Quality Control management processes & familiar with working in an ISO 9001 / ISO 27001 environment
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Disclosure check (essential)
- SC clearance or ability to achieve this if not already held (UK national with residency in the UK for the last 5 years) (essential)
- Full UK driving license (essential)
- Recognised project management qualification or certification - APMP, PRINCE 2 (essential)
Monday to Friday - 40 hours
Salary - £40k-£50k
If interested please don't hesitate to apply now. We look forward to hearing from you.
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.