Are you a 'Mechanical Assembly Technician' looking for exciting new opportunities in Portsmouth, Hampshire? If so we have a full-time, 6-month contract role available with...
Are you a 'Mechanical Assembly Technician' looking for exciting new opportunities in Portsmouth, Hampshire?
If so we have a full-time, 6-month contract role available with a world leader in the design and manufacture of satellite systems that may be of interest to you.
The role and requirements
As a AIT Mechanical Assembly Technician you'll be working as part of a fantastic team on high-value Earth Navigation Space Mission projects. You will have the ability to perform electrical and mechanical integration activities:
- Equipment integration
- Waveguide integration
- Coax cable integration
- DC harness integration and connector mating and de-mating
- Structural component integration
- Test instrumentation integration (thermocouples, heater circuits and accelerometers)
- Wiring activities (crimping)
- Use of basic hand tools (torque tools, screwdrivers, spanners, measurement tools and etc.).
- Basic engineering hand skills (filing, drilling, tapping, heli-coil installation)
- Following tool control procedures
- Active participation in continuous improvement activities
- Ensuring correct completion of build paperwork for all activities you have performed
- Interpreting technical documentation (schematical drawings, wiring diagrams, 2D and 3D General Assembly Drawings, technical notes and integration procedures)
- 3D model navigation
Qualifications and skills
- HNC or HND in an engineering production or maintenance field
Or / and
- Apprenticeship in Aerospace/Space or other high quality production or maintenance field
Shift work and weekend work is required. Successful candidates may initially be on straight days or early and late shift (depending on Training room availability) whilst they are trained, this is expected to be for a period of 2 weeks for which they will be paid the basic hourly rate. They will then move to a shift pattern, which varies dependent upon payload, however, the information below is indicative of the more common shifts and their allowances.
Successful candidate will attend two weeks on site training working a standard day shift 08:00 to 16:00.
16 day pattern (4 on / 4 off pattern)
4 days (06:00 to 18:00) on, 4 days off, 4 nights (18:00 to 06:00) on, 4 nights off. Hours worked between 06:00 and 22:00 attract shift up lift of 20% hours between 22:00 and 06:00 attract 33% uplift.
Early / Late shift pattern (double days)
The pattern consists of one week of Early Shifts Monday to Friday 06:00 to 14:00 and then one week of Late Shifts Monday to Friday 14:00 to 22:00. The shift pattern has a two-week revolution period. Hours worked between 06:00 and 22:00 attract shift up lift of 20% hours between 22:00 and 06:00 attract 33% uplift.
About Airbus Defence and Space
Airbus Defence and Space is a world leader in the design and manufacture of satellite systems. Their activities cover complete civil and military telecommunications, Earth observation systems and science and navigation programmes together with avionics and a wide range of space equipment and associated ground infrastructure.
Please be aware there will be a skills test at the interview stage and you will be subject to security vetting in order to undertake work in accordance with business needs.
If you are interested in the role and match the required skills and qualifications, apply today by contacting
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.