Principal Hardware Design Engineer Our client is a leading developer of products for the marine sector. They are looking to hire a Principal level Hardware...
Hardware Systems Engineer (Control Systems)
This position is part of the Control Systems group within the Engineering department. As a key member of the hardware and systems engineering team, this role is primarily to provide hardware integration and electrical design expertise to support the design and development of a new highly integrated platform management and machinery control system for maritime applications.
Key responsibilities include:
- Capture, interpret and develop customer requirements.
- Specify, design, and develop hardware solutions for distributed electronic control systems.
- Integrate off-the-shelf electrical and electronic equipment
- Demonstrate compliance to customer and regulatory requirements.
- Provide technical oversight of subcontractors
- Support the preparation of contract changes and proposals.
- Produce documentation in accordance with company/customer procedures.
- Be aware of and comply with company standards of conduct and all relevant statutory requirements.
- To travel to customer sites in the UK and overseas when required.
- To carry out any other reasonable management request.
- A degree, HND, HNC or equivalent in electrical/electronic engineering or a related discipline.
- Experienced in:
o Systems engineering, requirements capture and analysis.
o Design and integration of complex electrical/electronic systems and equipment.
o Specification and analysis of COTS components and subassemblies.
o System and/or hardware testing and verification.
o Demonstrating compliance to customer specifications and international standards.
o Using configuration management tools and processes.
- Understanding of:
o Digital control systems implemented using COTS and/or embedded hardware.
o Electronic interfaces, data bus communication protocols and networking standards.
o Environmental & EMC standards; e.g. Def Stan 00-35, Def Stan 59-411, MIL-STD-461 or similar.
o Electrical schematics.
o MTBF calculations, FMECAs, reliability block diagrams.
- Be a self-starter to execute a variety of project functions efficiently, professionally and on time.
- Be able to work within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Good mathematical knowledge and analytical ability.
- Good technical writing skills.
- Strong IT skills, specifically with MS Office products.
- Industrial control systems, PLC, SCADA, networks and network topology.
- Ship's machinery and control systems.
- Familiarity with electrical panel/enclosure design and power supply architectures.
- IEC 61508 Functional Safety, or equivalent.
- IBM DOORS.
- Experience within defence, maritime or a similarly regulated industrial sector.
- Supplier management.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.