Production Manager PengeScope of RoleTo oversee the day to day activities of the Production functions at the siteProvide site leadership to Production disciplines to improve...
Engineering Manager - Penge
This role manages the technical expertise in the motion control product range, including motors, resolvers, encoders and traxsys track ball product ranges ensuring that skills and expertise is developed and maintained to provide timely delivery of design solutions, to support my clients entire portfolio and technical support is provided when and where necessary to ensure production delivery is maintained. The role is also responsible to provide engineering post design support services to the business unit ensuring that design data and configuration are maintained, that design data is transferred and managed between business units and that design data, permits/concessions and engineering change notes is provided to the business units to support production. The role works in collaboration with the Product Development Engineering Managers for Aerospace and Land/Rail, the BU Director and the Engineering Director.
Management and direction of staff
- Manage the engineering resource to meet project and support activities delivery commitments.
- Develop the engineering capability (skills, tools, test equipment) to meet the strategic objectives of the organisation.
- Support the annual budget preparation and NRE sales recovery activity.
- Supervise engineering activities and support the rest of the organisation.
- Undertake the annual staff appraisal process including SMART objective setting and identification of training staff needs.
- Manage new employees through the probation review process.
- When required select potential employees and undertake the interview process.
- Proactively manage employees identified as under-performing.
Support of development and Introduction of New Products
- Supports the Programme Management and Product Development teams by providing expertise and design solutions to meet the performance, cost, quality and delivery requirements of the customer.
- Interpret the requirement specifications for the specific elements provided by the Motion Control team to contribute to an overall coherent design process.
- Ensure the solution supports the design needs and that all applicable standards have been addressed.
- Develop strong teamwork principles for each project - ensure clear direction, compliance and accountability.
- Support the development of the engineering technology roadmap in relation to Motion Control technology.
- Manage the qualification test service to support production development.
Sales and Customer support
- Support the Business Development and Product Development (Engineering) teams in bid / design / project related activity.
- Provide technical proposals, product / project costings and development plans for new opportunities related to the Motion Control product range.
- Support quality in relation to failure root cause investigation and corrective action implementation in relation to returned product.
Product Support and Configuration Management
- Manage design data and configuration of all AAG designs for the Motion Control BU, including change notes using tools such as PDM/PLM.
- Manage the Engineering Change Note process and "Champion" the reduction of the open change notes by introducing a suitable metric and achieving a gradually reducing trend over a period to be defined.
- Manage the creation of parts lists and creation of BoMs onto the AAG business management systems (eg Pro III, AS400, Navision etc).
- Assist in the development and maintenance of AAG design standards and design manuals.
- Manage the release and control of all Motion Control BU drawings.
- Control and management of customer drawings and specifications.
- Control and management of AAG drawings and documents released to customers and suppliers.
- Responsibility for sourcing and maintenance of necessary external design standards (e.g., BS publications).
- Support the production organisation, by addressing legacy design issues, permits and concessions, along with problem investigation and rectification.
- Engage in the FRACAS process and proactively manage down the no. of open items with the aim of meeting the department objectives.
- Provide technical support in relation to the legacy product range to ensure that Operations have access to a readily manufacturable data-pack.
- Liaise with Production Engineering to ensure a concurrent engineering approach is adopted and there is a smooth transition from development into series production.
In addition to the above duties the Engineering Manager is encouraged to promote the best practice with respect to Lean processes and continuous improvement of the services offered by the team.Work within company procedures and contribute to their development, the objective being to maximise company efficiency whilst meeting all customer/legislative requirements.
Position Requirements - Professional Knowledge & Experience
- Work with the other engineering managers to upgrade and introduce new design tools, systems and processes as and when the company business requirements dictate.
- Proven experience in a senior technical position within a company strongly involved in electromechanical / electromagnetic components.
- Proven leadership experience - Experience of resource management (human and equipment/tools).
- Aerospace, defence industry knowledge or closely related industry.
- Demonstrated strength in engineering design methods and techniques.
- Project Management capability.
- Knowledge of the suite of typical development tests - design validation, qualification, accelerated testing, and stress screening.
- Knowledge of manufacturing technologies and Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Familiarity with Industry Drafting Standards (BS8888 etc).
- 3D CAD tool experience, such as Inventor, SolidWorks, Solid-Edge etc.
- PDM/PLM administration knowledge.
- ERP system knowledge, ideally Navision, Pro III and AS400.
- Articulate and able to communicate effectively, both verbally and written, with customers, vendors, and factory personnel.
- Ability to manage technical problem solving of legacy production challenges.
- Experience with designing and analyzing multi-part mechanisms and mechanical/electromechanical assemblies.
- Experience with Statistical Quality Control and Inspection techniques.
- Experience in a Manufacturing or Manufacturing Engineering environment.
- Ability to manage technical risk - DFMEA
Education & Qualifications
- Strong technical / engineering degree.
- Additional business or management qualification would be an advantage.
For more information please get in contact with Jamie Birch at Carbon60 on 01329 227006 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.