Principal Software Engineer
Please note - this role can be based in either Harlow or Warminster.
Our client is a leading developer of applications and products for the defence sector. They are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to work on a specific programme for them.
The application you would be working on is an n-tier Rich Web Application, built on Service Oriented Architecture and comprising RESTful services. We work within an Agile development framework from a prioritised backlog, with daily stand-ups. We have a regular 3 month release cycle.
You will have demonstrable experience designing and developing enterprise-grade Object-Oriented Java applications, including integration with middleware and RDBMS, third-party/open source libraries and handling problems of concurrency and scalability. You will have worked and thrived in an Agile environment, knowing and committing to the responsibilities of an Agile developer; able to show your dedication to delivery.
You'll have great communication skills and be able to use them with senior managers, customers and peers alike. Have a desire to share what you know and guide junior developers and your peers, taking ownership of problems and creating high-quality, comprehensively tested solutions. Also, able to review other solutions, thoroughly, in depth and in detail. You'll be passionate about technology, keeping yourself up to date with changes across the industry and with ideas of how to use them in the product.
As a Principal Software Developer, we will expect you to have experience in some of the following:
- Java 8
- Spring and its sub-projects
- Hibernate (or other ORM framework)
- JUnit (or other Unit Testing framework)
- Web Services, particularly REST, and JSON
- Cascading Style Sheets
- Jasper Reports
- JBoss (or other Application Server)
- Ant or Maven
- Active Directory
Techniques, Concepts or Methodologies:
- Scrum and/or Kanban (or other Agile frameworks)
- OO Design and UML
- OO Design Patterns and/or Enterprise Design Patterns
- Enterprise Service Bus
- Continuous Integration (and, optimally, Continuous Deployment)
- DevOps (including DevSecOps, or other Dev*Ops variant)
- Mapping, Geolocation, Symbology and Geographic Information Systems
Tools (particularly if you have any experience in an administrative role):
- TeamCity (or Jenkins, Hudson, CruiseControl, or other Continuous Integration tool)
- Atlassian JIRA (or ClearQuest, or other Issue Tracking tool)
- Atlassian Crucible/FishEye (or other Code Review tools)
- Open Source libraries and APIs
Please contact Faye Jackson on 01329 227015 with any questions.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.