Hardware Design Engineer We are currently seeking a Hardware Design Engineer to join small cross-functional team under the guidance of a Lead Hardware Engineer, and...
Lead Hardware Design Engineer
A vacancy has arisen within our hardware engineering team for a Lead Hardware Design Engineer. In this role you will be mostly working in a small cross-functional team and you will be responsible for technical and project leadership of an NPI project from inception to production release. This would include the design, development and verification of a variety of embedded electronics products, which may include Single Board Computers, Graphics Cards, Sensor Processing products and Network Switches. All are designed for use over extreme temperatures and in harsh environments.
- Definition of engineering requirements in consultation with customers and product managers
- Co-ordination of a cross-functional team to develop a coherent hardware, software and mechanical design solution
- Component selection and schematic capture
- Oversight and review of PCB layout
- Development and verification of FPGAs using VHDL
- Conduct design reviews and generate design documentation in accordance with company quality processes
- Demonstrate product functionality and design robustness through a rigorous verification process
- Definition of production test strategy and supervision of production handover
- Provide engineering support for designs throughout product lifecycle including production test support, customer support and obsolescence management
- Degree in Electronic Engineering or a related subject, or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Demonstrable experience in design and verification of complex electronic hardware
- Good understanding of computer architectures and embedded systems
- Problem-solving skills, creativity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record in technical and project leadership
- Experience of design for wide temperature range (-40 to +85°C)
- Experience of design commissioning and fault-finding
- Experience of working in a cross-functional team
- Proven ability to establish and deliver on personal and project deadlines
- Experience of using Schematic Capture tools such as Mentor Dx-Designer.
- Experience of design using the following :-
- Multi-core/multi GHz System-on-Chip processor architectures including Intel, NVIDIA and NXP architectures
- High-speed memory interfaces (DDR4 or similar)
- High-speed serial interfaces (5GHz+) - signal integrity principles, simulation and verification
- Switch-mode power supplies - design and simulation
- FPGA/SoC - development and verification using VHDL
- I/O interfaces such as USB, Serial, Ethernet, I2C, SPI
- Enthusiasm for the technology and its use in Military & Aerospace applications
- Desire to further develop engineering skills in high-speed board & programmable logic design
- Ability to work well in a team environment and a desire to provide technical leadership to other team members.
- Ability to establish and achieve personal deadlines and contribute to meeting project timescales
- Flexibility and enthusiasm to succeed within a dynamic technical and business landscape
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.