Our client designs and develops a variety of systems for use in defence, including sonar, navigation and bridge management systems. These are used in land,...
Principal Systems Engineer/Systems Design Authority
Our client is a leading developer of systems and products for Land, Sea and Air application in the defence sector. They are looking to recruit a Principal level Systems Engineer into their business to act in a Design Authority capacity.
As a System Design Authority provide design governance to ensure projects are technical compliant and that all engineering activities are conducted to an acceptable technical quality in accordance with company procedures.
As a System Design Authority will be accountable for:
- The technical solution to meet the customer, legislative and business requirements.
- Ensuring that the project/sub-system is design, developed or supported in accordance with the company processes and procedures. This includes, but not limited to: Product safety, design for manufacture, quality, development practices and guidelines.
As a System Design Authority will also be responsible for technical oversight of engineering activities throughout the project lifecycle. This includes:
- Product Certification and Compliance approval (all technical aspects, including contractual & legislative). This may include airworthiness where applicable.
- Technical governance of engineering activities on a project. Any issues identified should be escalated as appropriate.
- Design sign-off through key stages of the lifecycle, particularly at design reviews, or significant design change.
- Approval of customer or critical concessions.
- Ensuring that Design Reviews are appropriately planned, reported and signed off.
- Approval of key technical management plans.
- Approval of key specifications for development or procurement.
- Ensuring engineering process are adhered to in accordance with company processes.
- Liaison with Engineering Managers to establish lifecycle status planning & issue resolution.
- Identifying Quality and Safety issues requiring support external from the project team
- Coordination of Sub-System Design Authorities (where applicable).
- Identifying strategic resource and capability issues to help establish and support future projects demands.
- Supporting Engineering Lead as required for technical Customer discussions.
- Supporting evaluation, mitigation and management of engineering risks.
- Coaching and mentoring of other engineers.
- Liaising with customers and suppliers as required.
- Use of development, target and test equipment as well as laboratories to perform engineering activities relating to allocated functional discipline.
- Experience in the use of software tools:
- Essential: MS Windows, , MS Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook),
- Desirable: DOORS, Bugzilla/Jira, Windchill & IFS
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.