Lead Design EngineerRole SummaryThe role involves the full product lifecycle from New Product Introduction (NPI) through to modifying & supporting in service products on various...
Lead Design Engineer
The role involves the full product lifecycle from New Product Introduction (NPI) through to modifying & supporting in service products on various programmes, including Airbus, Boeing, SAAB, Leonardo and other major customers.
The Lead Design Engineer will be leading the design and support activities of actuation products (hydraulic or electromechanical), and/or hydraulic control valves within an aviation business.
Requirement of the Role
- Interpret customer's requirements/specification.
- Identify means for verification of requirements.
- Own the design of our products and manage associated requirement compliance matrices.
- Identify and communicate technical risks to projects stakeholders.
- Ensure that the product meets safety, performance, weight, schedule, cost and reliability requirements.
- Create and modify technical documentation (e.g. drawings, procedures and reports).
- Manage and review work of other engineers.
- Hold Design signature for the products they are responsible for.
- Lead design reviews and participate in programme reviews
- Lead cross-functional teams and support problem solving and corrective action activities to resolve design issues, ATP failures and customer returns/failures.
- Support engineering changes, using Documentation Control Tools. [Windchill]
Requirements of the individual
- A solid engineering background - Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or a related discipline (or qualified to an equivalent level) / or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience in delivering engineering designs in a highly regulated industry such as aerospace (knowledge of regulations and standards required).
- A good understanding of Reliability, Safety / Airworthiness, Production methods, Materials and Processes, and Stress and Performance analysis
- Experience of designing from customer specifications using 2D & 3D design tools, preferably SolidWorks.
- Demonstrable experience of designing mechanical and/or hydraulic products, preferably within an aviation business.
- Held signature approval in previous roles.
- Good knowledge and experience of mechanical components, geometric tolerancing, processing, precision machining, castings, forgings, metallic materials, military and industry standards.
- Appreciation of the drivers / requirements of Procurement, Design for
- Manufacture, Production and Quality
- Understanding of design (DFMEA), test and analysis (Mathcad, FEA) tools
- Experience using problem solving tools (8D, 5Why and other Lean tools).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Integrity - Self-motivated and proactive.
- Drive for continuous improvement
- Teamwork - Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with other Engineers [Design/Analysis/Test] to iterate and optimise design solutions.
- Innovative - Able to offer alternative solutions and solve problems
- Committed to deliver on schedule.
For more information please get in contact with Jamie Birch at Carbon60.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. Carbon60 is a trading name of Carbon60 Limited an Employment Business/Agency.