Our Client is a global leader in the supply of Air Traffic Control communications solutions typically exporting to 80 countries a year, operating from a base in the East Midlands just outside Peterborough. They are a highly dynamic international company that designs and manufactures a range of high technology communication equipment. They have been awarded PLATINUM Level in Investors In People accreditation (only 2% of organisations achieve platinum) and have a fantastic opportunity for an Applications Engineer to join their organisation and compliment the Product Engineering team working in product design and development.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To design and develop ground to air communications systems. To understand and communicate what the system does, how and why the system was designed, the implication of changes, the boundary conditions and the risks inherent in the system both internally and externally. To take overall technical responsibility for a small system when assigned as Project Engineer.
Carry out system design and document (where required) as follows. It is expected that an engineer at this level may specialise in one or two of these areas.
When assigned as Project Engineer for a proposal:
- Technical description
- Third party equipment definitions
- A statement of compliance
- Diagrams and drawings
- Calculations (range predictions, co-location etc.)
- Non Standards, options and equipment configuration
When assigned as Project Engineer for a particular contract:
- Carry out the technical contract review documentation
- Provide clarification of technical requirements if necessary with functional specifications
- Review system drawings and diagrams
- Provide the system design description document
- Provide third party equipment definitions
- Carry out any required calculations
- Provide requirement specifications for new products
- Generate the interface control documents
- Detail any non-standard items, options and equipment configuration
When assigned as the DFM Engineer:
- Convert concept designs generated by the Project Engineer to allow simplest manufacture.
- Peer review system information packs (SIP) and cabinet build instructions (CBI)
- For legacy systems only (non-portfolio), mark-up the original drawing package with assembly information and liaise with Technical Publications Team for conversion to a suitable format.
- Create cabinet bill of materials and submit as required
- Design new and custom cables. Request part number and build-to-print
- Specify new metalwork and pursue design through Production Engineering
- Maintain log of actions and outstanding tasks
- Attend the Manufacturing Work In Progress meetings
- Chair monthly build information and material meeting to discuss services supplied to Systems Assembly
- Maintain a presence on the factory floor and engage with the Systems Assembly team
- Pursue overdue material orders (Job and circumstance specific)
- Address ad-hoc manufacturing problems and implement solutions
- Offer manufacturing technical support to other Applications Engineers
- Review and authorise system assembly documentation
- Review System Test Reports and initiate corrective action as necessary.
- Review technical feedback and incident reports and initiate corrective action as appropriate.
- Configuration control of all assigned project system documentation ensuring that it is placed on Sharepoint and is approved.
- Be accountable for the estimation of costs associated with engineering activities and material for the generation of quotations.
- Give interested parties timely notice of and access to published documents.
- Develop and maintain close regular supplier, customer relationships acting as the technical contact point when required.
- Provide detailed technical advice to customer and to a range of staff from internal departments
- Research and develop ways of improving bid and implementation performance
- Work with a moderate level of guidance and direction
- Lead small project with self only
- Train new team members in own discipline
- Regularly monitor progress against goals
- Conduct other related tasks as directed by department manager
- Understand how own work impacts non-engineering internal customers
- Demonstrate flexibility and a positive attitude to changing priorities or direction
- Demonstrate excellent team working skills working collaboratively in own department, across the company and with external customers, suppliers and agencies
- Comply with company and departmental procedures
- Adopt a quality approach and foster a quality culture
- Contribute to process improvements
- Show the highest level of commitment to delivering exceptional customer service
- Understand and conform to the standards contained in the Northrop Grumman Standards of Business Ethics
- Some experience in an engineering design position with good knowledge of own discipline, including system design with commercial and budget responsibilities
- Design of VHF/UHF communications, Navigation and Surveillance Systems
- Commercial acumen
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effectively communicate to a range of internal stakeholders
- Plan ahead and anticipate potential problems
- Demonstrate understanding of new approaches to problems, put forward own ideas within the boundaries of current thinking
- Organise own work to achieve project objectives
- Highly self-motivated, positive and flexible
- Hands on, can-do approach
- Customer orientated
- Good IT skills including at least one Computer Aided Design or drawing package
Carbon60, Lorien, SRG - the Impellam Group STEM Portfolio is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted