Practice Lead - Functional Safety
NB!!! Please only apply if you are a sole British National due to security clearances
My client are an international market leader in the defence sector especially working on naval projects. They are committed to building a skilled engineering and delivery team, and as such require a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the Practice in order to develop, communicate and drive a transformative Practice vision for the Practice.
- Contribute to the NSS Technical strategy in consultation with the Head of Practice and colleagues across other practices, providing thought leadership, and influencing the business in terms of new technology and practice in the capability area.
- Create and communicate a Practice plan that supports delivery of both the NSS BU and OU technical strategies. This plan should set the bar for future good practice, agreeing key requirements for capability and skillsets within the Practice, and continuous improvement projects for delivery by the Practice.
- Collaborate with the Engineering Authorities (EA) in order to create Practice plans consistent with strategic imperatives for the OUs.
- Be an expert in the technical specialism of the Practice, maintaining own continual professional development in order to support the Practice direction and team development, monitoring the technology trends for this Practice and reflecting this as appropriate in the practice deliverables.
- Support external opportunities to demonstrate thought leadership related to the Practice as appropriate
Growth & Development:
- Co-ordinate the activity of the identified Practice SMEs (the Practice Panel) to deliver appropriate capability improvement projects as agreed and funded in the Practice plan.
- Drive a Practice culture of professional development and growth through creating and maintaining collateral, including: competency framework and career development collateral. Blending both technical requirements alongside Leadership characteristics. Ensuring the frameworks are easy to use and consistent in approach with other Practices.
- Working with the Head of Practice remain aligned to organisationally recognised and adopted professional standard frameworks, for example, UKSPEC, or SFIA etc. Ensuring that training and development materials are aligned with such frameworks and that Managers and Employees have a clear and understood process for self-assessment and management.
- Supporting the business by ensuring that the relevant skills needs of the Practice are understood and can be used as a benchmark for recruitment, through development of clear and consistent sets of job descriptions and technical interview resources.
- Enable capability building and collaboration across the community through a range of events, talks, discussion forums so that staff feel inspired, encouraged and supported to grow and learn.
Tools & Process:
- Conduct regular reviews to ensure Practice procedures and associated artefacts within the IMS are up to date and fit for purpose, ensuring alignment with PrOP procedures as appropriate.
- Work to ensure Panel members and teams who need to work in accordance with Practice procedures understand the requirements of such procedures and have access to appropriate training in this regard
- Working with the Head of Practice, ensure strong integration of Practice procedures with all other practices.
- Recommend changes in tools required to support the Practice direction, ensuring strong alignment to the other Practice toolsets and the advancement of Digital Transformation
General Operational duties
- Personally deliver customer project work / tasking / other roles as allocated, according to OU priorities, ensuring appropriate balance between this and Practice activity (in line with agreed utilisation objectives).
- Anticipated 50% Practice time, 50% delivery / other, as directed and relevant to the specific role and depending on the maturity of the practice collateral and ways of working at initial setup of the practice, and then on strategic capability development requirements.
- Drive a culture of delivery, professionalism and collaboration, including personally role modelling excellent thought leadership, time management and collaboration with colleagues
- Share collective responsibility for the attraction and retention of staff.
- Remain compliant with all applicable policies and procedures.
- Act as Brand Ambassador.
- Actively promote diversity and inclusion.
- An individual that is personally excited by changes in technology as a part of their daily life and enjoys keeping abreast of the latest developments within the technical field.
- A person who is keen to impart knowledge and support the growth of others, providing informal coaching and mentoring to Panel and Practice members as appropriate.
- An individual who demonstrates strength in networking, indirect influencing and collegiate problem solving
- An individual that is looking to play a major part in growing a business to its full potential.
- SME in specialist technical field, with demonstrable experience of customer delivery and capability development.
- Excellent strategist and communicator who can provide clear and concise messaging both externally to clients and internally within the company
- Confident communicator, both written and verbal.
- Highly organised, self-managing, able to manage multiple activities at any one time.
- Effective at delegating and task management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to engage effective with all audiences / stakeholders at all levels in the organisation.
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted
Back to job search