Navigation Algorithm Engineer
We work with a very interesting company that are involved with underwater innovations (Sonar and Acoustic Technology) for Energy, Oil & Gas and Defence.
As a Navigation Algorithm Engineer, you will design, implement, and test algorithms for hybrid navigation solutions. Work will be alongside the Principal Navigation Engineer and with a team of embedded software engineers to develop new and maintain the current navigation algorithm codebase.
The role will have responsibilities in capturing requirements and scoping new projects, the design and testing of new navigation algorithms, and guiding the deployment and validation of those algorithms onto hardware products. The ideal candidate will have a strong and demonstrable understanding of navigation principles and technologies as well as experience of developing software to industry best practices. Whilst experience in the marine industry would be beneficial, it is not essential.
- Navigation Algorithm Development - Design and development of algorithms for strapdown inertial navigation systems. Implementation of estimation and adaptive filtering techniques (e.g., Kalman filters) for the fusion of underwater sensor data including inertial measurement units (IMU), doppler velocity logs (DVL), acoustic positioning systems, GNSS, and depth.
- Sensor Selection and Modelling - Research, select, and validate sensor solutions for use in the navigation system. Define requirements for different sensor packages, and model, simulate, and characterise their behaviour.
- Simulation and Validation - Develop simulation and validation tools to support the development and testing of navigation algorithms. Also, tools to validate the performance of the hardware products and for data post-processing.
- Real-time Software - Support the deployment of navigation algorithm modules to the real-time codebase.
- Collaboration - Contribute to architecture concepts, navigation tasks, and development projects as part of a cross-functional engineering team. Deliver software to defined best practices and communicate with the team through presentations, documentation, and reports as required.
- Practical application of navigation and positioning algorithms as used in robotics and autonomous vehicles.
- A strong understanding of one or more of the following is required.
- Kalman Filters
- Sensor Fusion Techniques
- Experience with modelling sensors (IMU, DVL, GNSS) in Matlab
- Experienced in Matlab development
- Experienced in C/C++ development
- Can communicate and work effectively with other team members, and members of other teams throughout the business to achieve project deliverables.
- Can work in a structured software development environment that includes:
- Documenting designs
- Follow coding guidelines.
- Develop unit and system tests.
- Use source control systems and engage on peer code reviews
- MSc Navigation / Control Systems, Electrical /Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, or similar degree
- PhD in Navigation / Control Systems is desirable
Occasional travel required to Plymouth for systems testing
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
your application has been submitted
Back to job search