Control Systems Software Engineer - Networking & Communications
Join our client on their continued mission to push the boundaries of possible across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace. Enjoy a culture where your voice is valued and start contributing to their team of passionate professionals providing real-life solutions to the world's biggest challenges. They take pride in creating purposeful work and allowing their employees to grow and achieve their goals every day by Defining Possible. With their competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, they have the right opportunities to fit your life and launch your career today.
Your Opportunity to Define Possible.
Salary: £40,000 - £67,000 (Depending on experience). OR Contract: Outside IR35. Rates depending on experience. Hybrid Working Pattern British Eyes Only, due to the nature of the work.
Your Opportunity: -
Work on cutting-edge technology and capabilities whilst applying Control Systems Engineering techniques in a very specific fashion on strategically important National Defence Programmes.
To provide networking and communications engineering excellence as a member of the Control Systems software team, delivering software design and development expertise for maritime control and instrumentation systems.
- Flexible working schedules - we offer flexible and hybrid working arrangements. Talk to us at the application stage about any scheduling preferences you may have.
- Flexible Benefits Package - choose which NGUKL benefits you want to satisfy your personal needs. Core Benefits provided for you are Health-care, Dental, Life Assurance and Pension. Benefits you can flex include Critical Illness Cover, Health Cash Plan, and Health Assessments.
- Employee Incentive Programme - exceptional performance is recognised through our annual incentive programme which is awarded to top performers who excel
- Career Development - opportunity for ongoing professional development and career growth opportunities
General Operational duties
- Support the Lead Software Engineer in providing a professional and engaged team
- To adhere to the terms and conditions laid down in the employee contract or subsequent variations to contract, the NORTHROP GRUMMAN UK LIMITED Staff Handbook and the Health and Safety Policy
- To follow, and where appropriate improve, the Quality process laid down in the NORTHROP GRUMMAN UK LIMITED Quality System Manuals
- To adhere to the Company Security Instructions
Essential qualifications / competency requirements
To fulfil the requirements of this job, the post-holder must have the following skills:
- Design and integration of communications solutions for PLC and SCADA Control Systems
- An understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection Model (OSI)
- Experienced in the development and implementation of Industrial Communication protocols including but not limited to: Profibus, Profinet, Profisafe, Ethernet/IP, Modbus, TCP/IP, UDP, OPC (DA/UA)
- Experienced in the development and integration of serial data communications such as: RS232, RS422 and RS485
- An understanding of Industrial Communication standards such as: IEC61158, 61784, 61850
- Experienced in the implementation of networking technologies such as but not limited to:
- Layer 2 & Layer 3 Switch Management
- Fault Tolerant Redundant networking capabilities such as PRP, MRP, DLR
- Transport Layer Security
- Simple Network Management Protocol
- Experience of Secure & Safe data communications including Black Channel communications.
- Experience with unit test frameworks.
- Experience of Software Configuration Management and version control.
- 3+ years systems design and programming experience.
- Degree, HND, HNC or equivalent in Electrical/Electronic engineering or a related discipline e.g. Control Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering.
- Strong IT skills, in particular with MS Office products.
Essential personal attributes
- Adept at problem-solving, able to develop solutions to a variety of problems
- Good analytical ability
- Organised, adept at workload management and prioritising appropriately to meet deadlines
- Flexible and responsive to changing priorities
- Proactive team worker, equally self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Good interpersonal skills, able to engage effectively with all audiences/stakeholders
- Proficient user of MS office
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Strong customer focus
- Engaging 'can do' attitude
Desirable qualifications / competencies
- Experienced in design and integration of Programmable Logic Controllers - PLCs (Rockwell and Siemens)
- Design and integration of Large scale SCADA systems
- Specification and analysis of COTS equipment
- Experience with Object oriented programming languages like C++,C#, JAVA
- Siemens WinCC OA (Open Architecture) development experience
- Understanding of IEC 61131
- Understanding of Functional Safety (BS EN 61508, 61511 or 62061)
- Software testing and verification
- Oracle/SQL Databases
- Systems Engineering approach to software development
- Understanding of FMECAs
- Experience of configuration management systems and change control
- Experience within Defence, Maritime (Ship's machinery and control systems), Aerospace, or a similarly regulated industrial sector (e.g. Oil & Gas, Pharma or PetroChem).
Your Future Team:
"People are our most important asset. It's my role to ensure that we have empowered and independent engineers who can apply their skills and engineering thinking across our various programmes, delivering not only technical but professional solutions whilst enabling continuous learning both within and outside their functional skills base."
About Our Responsibilities:
Our customers operate in unique environments which offer new and exciting challenges every day, cultivating a place where you can learn and thrive, working alongside the best minds in industry. We'll give you space to develop your career, where your ideas can shape the future of our dynamic business.
We promote collaboration to achieve more than we could imagine, together. And within a respectful and inspirational environment, we value what you say and do.
Carbon60, Lorien, SRG - the Impellam Group STEM Portfolio is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.