This year, in the first year of what we hope to be a long partnership with The University of Birmingham, we have been working with UOB MSc student, Yunqi, to provide work experience, developing their industry experience and shaping their future of work.
Yunqi has been working closely with the team at Carbon60 to deliver a market and website analysis of our three STEM brands; Carbon60, Lorien and SRG.
We asked Yunqi, how she found the experience.
1. In three words or less, describe your experience working with Carbon60, Lorien and SRG?
An enjoyable and rewarding project experience.
2. What have you learned from this experience?
I have learned to combine the theoretical knowledge of the marketing profession that I learned in school with practice. In particular, the website content analysis, through the reality of the indicator data, market data and comparison with competitors, more intuitive analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the three brand websites and delivering targeted recommendations based on my findings.
3. To you, what was the most important part of this learning experience?
As this is my first project experience, I think the important part is that it has shown me how marketing knowledge can be applied in practice and how to deal with some of the current problems in the market.
4. What challenges did you encounter during this experience? How did you respond?
In the beginning, when I received the assignment, I didn't know how to analyse the website more comprehensively and systematically, and I was unfamiliar with the company's information. So, I asked Elle, the Digital Marketing Manager, at every meeting and she helped me a lot!
5. Do you feel like this experience has given you the opportunity to see what it is like to work in the industry? If so, please explain why.
Through this experience, I have become more familiar with the nature of work in the industry. This experience has given me a better understanding of what the day-to-day aspects of a marketing job entail.
6. What is, in your opinion, the most important takeaway from this experience?
This experience gave me the opportunity to distinguish between my school life and grasp what work life would look like in the future. I have gained valuable skills from combining my theoretical knowledge with practical work, which I can now take with me to future experiences.
7. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
This was a very enjoyable and fulfilling project experience, and I hope that all three brands continue to do great work in the future!